Our monthly update on the project to modernise payment and prior approvals as part of the eDental programme, covering:
- ePrior Approval
- the rollout of our eDental web form
- what stage practice management system (PMS) suppliers are at on the path to accreditation
- eDental transition update for all Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) practices
We continue to see an increase in dental claims being received electronically. In January 2017, 94.31% of claims were received electronically. This rose to 96.92% in July, 97.17% in August, and more recently, 97.42 in September 2017.
This is particularly encouraging as the 31 December 2017 deadline approaches for submitting any final paper claims. Paper GP17-1 payment claims submitted on or after 1 January 2018 will not be accepted.
Orthodontic payment and approvals is now part of the eDental project. In mid October, we issued a ‘supplier specification’ to all practice management suppliers, including orthodontic specialist software suppliers AssisOrtho and Orthotrak. Our internal suppliers have begun development for Orthodontic payments and prior approvals. Paper submissions for Orthodontic Prior Approval requests and payments will no longer be accepted after 1 January 2019. A letter will be issued out in the near future providing more information.
We’ve almost completed internal testing of the new ePrior Approval system is almost complete – it will then be available for practice management suppliers to move through the accreditation process. We intend to run a pilot at the start of January 2018. The completion date being targeted by us and PMS suppliers for electronic submissions is 31 July 2018. All paper GP17-1 prior approval requests must be submitted electronically by the mandated regulation date of 1 October 2018.
eDental web form rollout
We continue to encourage all practices intending to use the web form to move over in good time, before 1 January 2018. Practices are reminded that they must have PCs or laptops in place and a Scottish Wide Area Network (SWAN) connection before a suitable date for transition can be arranged. Contact the transition team on email@example.com or 0131 275 6866.
Practice management system (PMS) supplier update
If you use a PMS, or intend to start using one to claim for payments in future, visit our practice management systems page for more information on where each PMS supplier is on their path to accreditation and rollout. As at October, two PMS suppliers are accredited and in the process of transition - these are Software of Excellence (SoE) and Systems for Dentists (SFD).
We’ve noticed a few issues causing some practices problems in transitioning across smoothly – we thought these issues and the solutions would be useful to share. These are:
- finding at the point of upgrade, PCs need replaced – if you have very old PCs, it would be prudent to upgrade. Carestream and SoE have identified a number of practices who are deemed at risk of not being able to transition to eDental as a result of still having unsupported XP PCs, not being on the most up to date version of the software or not having made the server upgrades. Our transition team has contacted those practices to ensure they are aware of the risks involved in delaying any upgrade.
- Firewall issues – this usually suggests a practice would be having an issue with Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) submissions. In some instances, we’ve found that something as simple as plugs have been moved in practice, so please be mindful of this. For firewall issues contact the dental helpdesk on 0131 275 6200. If you are contacted for transition and are having issues, please inform the transition team.
- Not updating to latest version of software – when the latest release is made available, practices have not downloaded and installed the version required in the timeframe specified on the transition letter.
eDental transition update for all Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) practices
With practices at different stages of transition with their chosen supplier, we want to ensure that practices have the information they need to manage their transition effectively. As well as communicating directly with each transitioning practice, we also have some general eDental transition updates which practices may find useful. These updates cover:
- top tips for a smooth transition
- transition update for Software of Excellence (SoE) practices
- transition update for Systems for Dentists (SFD) practices