- look at the impact of our decisions on our customers, colleagues and communities
- ensure we manage resources so they’ve a positive impact on society and minimise impact on the environment
- act to meet or exceed our legal and regulatory requirements
- conduct ourselves ethically in line with our values and
- be open and transparent to meet our commitment to Corporate responsibility and report progress.
NSS will support the targets in the Climate Change (Scotland) Act 2009 which aim to reduce energy-based carbon emissions and energy consumption to contribute to the emissions reduction targets for greenhouse gas.
NSS will commit to:
- use energy and water efficiently and promote and implement improvements designed to make best use of supplies and minimise our use of natural resources, especially if these are non renewable
- design, promote and implement sustainable travel plans to reduce energy use and emissions and encourage our workforce to make sustainable travel choices
- minimise waste by encouraging waste reduction, reuse of materials and recycling
- put sustainability, life cycle costing and a healthy working environment at every stage of NSS land and property management
- assess the environmental impact of any new processes, products or services before they are implemented
- embed sustainable procurement so that we work with suppliers and meet our need for goods and services in a way that minimises the impact on the environment.